Monday, April 22, 2013

true self + scripture prints

i've been mulling this over for about a month now. God has been working on me lately in this area. I feel more and more challenged, on a daily basis, to be on purpose in living like Jesus and not my self.
 
Recently, I've started to questions someones motive/sincerity in doing something nice for someone else.
Does it matter if we think they are being sincere? What if they are trying to do the right thing?
 
 
Here's the deal.
We are human. We are all sinners.
Our natural self might not perform the way that we are called to.
that's why God gave us the Holy Spirit... to guide us.
So if we don't think someone is being sincere in a nice or thoughtful gesture, maybe they're just denying their natural self in actions so that their heart may soon follow.
fake it til you make it
 
we are all born with specific personality traits. some parents elect to have their child express their personality and feel wrong in changing it or adjusting it. Others feel that a personality can be herded and managed, even changed. (more thoughts on that later)
I remember taking the Myers-Briggs a few years ago and really struggling to answer the questions.
i knew what i naturally would do in a situation, but knowing that's not how my actions would necessarily play out. ca-peesh?
Naturally, i am an introvert. I didn't realize this about myself until recent years. I was raised to be an extrovert. (perhaps i am naturally both?). i was raised to be friendly and outgoing, when actually i'd rather be at my house and talk very little.
does this mean i should do just that?
or should i deny my natural self and be friendly and reach out to others?
(I know I a referencing my natural personality, not my natural spiritual nature. but it's a metaphor...go with it.)
Pinned Image
 


 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. -Romans 8:5

 
This has been running through my head for a while and I wasn't sure what to do with it.
Then yesterday, Trent said this:
"Your flesh is always going to desire more and more and more and more because you have not been designed, as a being, to have your flesh satisfied and that be the point of greatest contentment in your life.  
You have been designed to be plugged in to the divine creator of the entire universe and through something supernatural to so fulfill your spirit that nothing in the flesh comes even close to being that satisfying."
 (you can listen to the rest of his sermon here)
 
and I was like....YES!
that's it
We can not expect our natural self to bring satisfaction to our life and in our interaction with others!
We can not do it.
We must deny our natural self.
If my actions were based on natural desires, i'd be hopeless and alone.
I would have driven everyone I love away from me by this point.
Purely seeking to satisfy myself.
I would be so ugly to others.
Thank you Jesus for showing us how to live.
I am a far cry from doing it right, but I have a guide and try to follow.
I am also thankful for his mercy.
i need it every morning.
 
The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.  But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness.  And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.
Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. -Romans 8:6-13
 
how good it is to see scripture for the first time, after reading it for years.

 
 
and on that note................... 
i love having scripture on the walls of my home


this lady has made it happen
see her new prints, they are wonderful!
 
 
thankful for His written word
 
Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Aly Taylor said...

Gorgeous...now you've got me looking at naptime diaries. Thanks for sharing your heart. Always look forward to reading...

The Heart Mom said...

Preach the gospel daily, when necessary, use words. Appropriate words used well are shared well. good job. good thinking. good writing.