Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Checkers Mate?

See that face?
Yeah, that one right there...that of my counterpart?
My loyal partner for life, my significant other, my rock, the one who has my back.
Yeah, that face is of someone is none of these things.
It is the face of glorious victory. Gloating even.
He beat me at checkers.
The picture that I will not, or ever, show is of me.
Why? you may ask
Mostly because I would like for it to be known and  remain known that I am a good sport.
Let's just pretend that I don't pout. OK?
I hate losing. More so, I hate to lose to Grant. See that, I called him Grant.
Ok, there you have it. We are competitive. I am competitive.
Why did he think that a "friendly" game of checkers while at my favorite dining establishment, Cracker Barrel, after church was a good idea?
Why?
after church? a game? who knows.

Mark it down.
Another Newlywed Lesson Learned.

Kate is so no fun when she loses.

I wish I could be more fun.
But, it won't happen. Sorry.

The part that I won't tell you is that I made him put up all the checkers when i realized that I was going to lose.
Don't tell my future children.
I want them to think that we never quit at anything. Even checkers at Cracker Barrel.

Luckily, I am like a 6 month old and forget things almost as quickly as they happen. By the time my vegetable plate (with mac n' cheese....when did that become a vegetable???)  arrived, I was happier than a hog in a mud hole. It was another beautiful, productive fall day after all.

and we didn't play any more games where i lost.
amen.

so, i raise my glass to good sportsmanship,
(and smugly chuckle under my breath),
Kate


No comments: