Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bon Appetit!

"The excellent cook is the one who does"
-i quote myself
This is one lesson that I have learned over the past few years. I make no claim to be a good or even satisfactory cook/baker, but there have been meals that I have prepared that have been accepted by those partaking.
Here's the deal. Anyone can cook. You find a recipe that looks to suit your fancy and you follow it. Or you throw some ingredients together that would seem to get along without ruining eachother.
To be known as a good cook, you simply have to do just that. Take the time, prepare, chop, sautee, bake, marinate, order pizza(it counts sometimes), whatever it takes to get some food on the table.
Your end product doesn't always have to be worthy of a five-star restaurant menu, from Julia Childs' The Art of French Cooking, or a 4 course meal...it simply just has to be.

i.e.
last night I scrounged up some ingredients we had in the fridge, threw them in the crock pot and 4 hours later....Voila! We have deer-garden-taco-soup. Doesn't that just sound lovely?

GT then proceeded to tell that it was delicious and I was a great cook.
These things of course aren't necessarily true.
He was just very happy that supper was awaitin' him when he got home and that I took the time to get it all together.

That's all folks.

Of course there is a difference in great cooks and good cooks, but that's for later.
I don't want to shoot too high this early in my marriage. GT needs to have something to look forward to. I'll stick to "good".

in the kitchen with a great cook making peach jam
I'll throw a recipe in later this week, so check back when I get hungry again.


Bon Appetit y'all,

Kate

p.s. does anyone from monroe/west monroe remember that local cooking show "What's Cooking?". That was a good time for the Twin Cities.

No comments: